All about us
Bernard Nicholson Funeral Directors was established in Richmond in 1916 and was originally known as Nicholson Brothers - Carriage Masters.
In 1937 the Nicholson brothers relocated to Thirsk to provide their funeral services to 14 joiners who were based in the market town. At this point, the brothers also invested in a motor hearse which was the first of its kind in the Thirsk area.
Bernard Nicholson was introduced to his fathers business in 1957 at the age of 14 when he started working on funerals. Bernard’s involvement in the business grew and in 1985 he took over the business and it was re-named Bernard Nicholson Funeral Directors and was based in Chapel Street. Since then, the funeral home has relocated to new premises at 20 Market Place, Thirsk.